20 May 2010

Home Alone

My dad left for the states today, and though its not the first time I have been living on my own, this is the most independent I have been. I have no familial contacts within a thousand miles, I'm working pretty much full time, and I'm pretty much allowed to do whatever I want. This newfound freedom has led me to several major realizations:
  1. I can be naked anytime I like.
  2. I am terrible at shopping for food.
  3. Seriously, anytime! I'm naked right now.*
I have know about the second point for some time, but it was driven home tonight when I attempted to shop for food. I had in mind that I needed to buy some milk, and possibly some other items of an edible, and by those rather loose standards I was completely successful. Upon unpacking my groceries however, I began to wonder if my methodology or standards leave something to be desired. I'll let you be the judge:


What I ended up with (in no order):
- Half a kilo of canned salmon (generic brand)
- Canned 4 bean mix (sale)
- Canned corn (generic brand and on sale)
- 3x Various Soups (sale)
- 1L Moisturizer (something I actually needed... I get dry elbows OK?)
- 1 Full kilo of cereal (on a clearance sale, cheaper than the smallest box)
- 'Rustic Cut Potatoes' (on clearance sale)
- 3L Milk (what I set out to buy! also, generic brand)

What do you think?

*You clicked on the link, didn't you? I know, I'm hard to resist.

8 comments:

  1. I think ew. I dont know what rustic potatoes are, but that seems to be a euphemism for old and infected with some sort of horrifying disease. Also 4 bean mix? Yup, definitely no way eating that will backfire on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to have to go with "I told you so."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to paradise! I discovered the nudity thing 6 months ago and it truly is as great as you say.

    But anyway, it sounds like you did excellent shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to next weeks treatise on how you decide what you'll intend to buy. also, I love how you buy things that you have no intent of eating, just because it fits in the basket! Hope that Wales is just as New and South as you described.
    Also, if one wanted to put an envelope in a blue box on the end of the street and wanted that envelope to reach you personally; what would one write on the outside such as to make that happen?

    Yours truly,
    Guy M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you won't die of starvation? Though I'm not sure how happily you will be eating. At least you'll be enjoyably naked. Maybe some sort of balance is achieved there.

    And ultimately I do approve of all off-brand and sale items purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha love the grocery list. very you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Austen,
    Thanks for the response. I will walk to the box as soon as I have completed some of the random things that I've been doing in New York; like:
    -unpacking
    -the most legal download of music and video, eating, staying in shape (possibly through downloading p90x)
    -totally reorganizing most of my parent's house for no other reason than I'm bored
    -Other miscellaneous tasks, as assigned by the benevolent superiors of procreation (I must learn to address them more properly in the future)

    Also, I'm not sure if you are aware, but I found another Austentatious blog! I was looking for yours while away from my computer and stumbled upon it. Mind you, I find your application of the word to be a) more interesting
    b) more inclusive of your personal identity
    c) more relevant to the current world state
    d) more hip

    Austentatious: marked by, or fond of, conspicuous or vainglorious
    and sometimes pretentious display of all things related to Jane Austen.

    http://austentatious.blogspot.com/

    Please correct me, if appropriate, and I will respond by reading the other blog (in conjunction or in situ of your blog, at your discretion, of course)

    Live Long and Prosper!

    ps. I feel as if this post is still missing something, therefore I will include a link that I could never do justice to in either performance of explanation.

    http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80988408/

    ReplyDelete